So it's Christmas morning, which means it's finally time for me to post part 1 of 5 of the top albums/eps/singles of 2011. I wouldn't call 2011 a particularly great year for music. You could call this the year of the 8 string. 2011 was also the year where the scene became over saturated in new bands with a do it yourself work ethic. Thanks to improvements in computer technology, recording has never been easier or more affordable. But regardless, there were great albums in 2011 and there were some terrible ones too. A lot of the albums in Part 1 seem to be the ones that I wanted to love and was disappointed by. And so let's begin...
50) The Bunny The Bear - If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say (June 28, 2011 via Victory Records)
49) Suicide Silence - The Black Crown (July 12th, 2011 via Century Media Records)
48) Periphery - Periphery (April 20th, 2011 via Sumerian Records)
47) The Devil Wears Prada - Dead Throne (September 13th, 2011 via Ferret Music)
46) August Burns Red - Leveler (June 21st, 2011 via Solid State Records)
45) Big Business - Quadruple Single (2011 via Gold Metal Records)
44) The Browning - Burn This World (October 4th, 2011 via Earache Records)
43) Tonight Alive - "Little Lion Man" (Single from Pop Goes Punk 4 via Fearless Records)
(For crazy reason my computer freezes when I tried to upload any version of the album artwork. FTW.)
I'd never really heard of Tonight Alive before until I (illegally) downloaded Pop Goes Punk 4 this fall and gave it a spin. I literally listened to each tune for about 30 seconds each before I started to feel a little sick and wondered if I could ever listen to another pop cover with a big breakdown in the middle. That's why this track stood out so much to me. Tonight Alive have an excellent grasp on turning the folk-indie sound of Mumford & Sons into a fun and fast pop punk cover. The lead guitar riff that imitates the banjo playing is an amazing rendition of the melody and female vocalist Jenna McDougall gives it her all to completes the energy that Tonight Alive brings to the tune.
42) In The Midst Of Lions - Shadows (November 22nd, 2011 via Facedown Records)
41) Thomas Giles - Pulse (February 1st, 2011 via Metal Blade Records)
act (BTBM). It is rare that you get a solo release that contains so much musical diversity and excellent songwriting. I can only describe this album as chilling, eerie, and awesome.
Check back tomorrow for 40 - 31!
Contributor --> Phil Keeling's Top 6 of 2011:
1. Counterparts - The Current Will Carry Us
2. Stray From The Path - Rising Sun
3. Defeater - Empty Days & Sleepless Nights
4 It Prevails - Stroma
5. The Human Abstract -Digital Veil
6. Bury Your Dead - Mosh 'n' Roll
Don't forget to like us on Facebook here!